This has been one hectic week!
I have had these pants done since Friday. In fact I've even washed and worn them twice already... Unfortunately by the time I've sat down to write up a little review my creative juices are in the red.
I was also having a bit of a time uploading my video to YouTube. (Skip this part if technical stuff makes you yawn..) Since I've been using the HD webcam I've been a bit lazy about my video editing. The really nice editor I use has to convert the raw file and it takes extra time so I've been using Microsoft Movie Maker. It's quick and easy, uses the raw file exactly the way it is which makes sense since it's all Microsoft products. Anyway.. I was also enjoying that the files were really small and easy to upload. Well guess what, they're really small because Movie Maker is cutting out half my frames and doing other compression stuff I don't want. I mean, what's the point of shooting in HD if it's not HD when I'm done editing it right? I'm sure there are some setting that need adjusting and I'm sure I'll find them eventually. The point is I switched back to my good video editor (Pinnacle Studio) and the file ended up being like oh... 5 times as big. The movie you'll notice is also a lot richer in effects that just aren't possible with Movie Maker. It's also in full 720p HD too for anyone who cares to watch me on their 57" plasma screen. This 2gb file will bring almost any internet connection to it's knees and screaming to a halt for everything besides the YouTube upload. On a really fast connection this file takes an hour to upload, on a regular speed connection you're talking oh... 4 or 5 hours. If anything interrupts the upload you have to start over again, this upload took me a few tries per day since last Friday before I had success.
Ok tune back in here!
here a few weeks back. The pattern instructions were standard Burda so I ended up using Ann Rowley's double welt pocket guide and the fly zipper instructions from the KwikSew jeans pattern. I read the instructions for the fly zipper in the Burda pattern and I was thankful that those were not my only source for instruction.
There were mistakes made as expected in any muslin/first run of a pattern. My welt pockets were a bit off and I didn't quite understand the inseam pocket which I talk about in the video. I had lengthened the leg 2" and shortened the rise 1" and the fit is great in those regards. I need to make the upper thigh a bit larger in the back to fix some weird bunching under the seat area but besides that the fit is pretty awesome. I talk about all this stuff in more detail in the video so I'll stop ruining the suspense for you.
I will absolutely be sewing these pants again and again!
Here's the slide show with captions:
And the YouTube video direct link:
London Craft Week: Making Jimmy’s Velvet Smoking Jacket
16 minutes ago