|I will spend my days playing dress up and giggling with little girls.|
- Time. Last September I became a full partner in the sewing school I help run. This transition widened my job description to not only sewing instructor but bookkeeper, fabric shopper, ebay order placer, floor mop supervisor, trainer, etc.. I'm busy these days and I often put in many hours a week that don't go on my paycheck.
- Fame. I don't think I ever wanted to be famous or "known". Or if I did I didn't realize what exactly that would entail. Like many artists who create or fall into a public persona it can be distracting at best and completely debilitating at worst. The art becomes secondary and the artist catches the often unwanted spotlight. Like a politician one starts to hesitate to be oneself in fear of upsetting one demographic or another. This does not promote a free spirit.
- Machines. So... after years of touting the joys of vintage machines and possibly looking down my nose at those who insisted on modern computerized machines.... I have changed. While I still love vintage machines my go to units are all high end computerized numbers and I love sewing on them! So my taste has changed and I feel a little embarrassed about it to be frank. I didn't know how to break this news so I avoided it until it became awkward.
If this is going to work then this is how it's going to be:
- The purpose of this blog is to provide an online resume for my sewing career. The best way to show an international audience that I know my stuff is to post it online in this "portfolio". My goal is to have a sewing show on PBS. This will happen and this blog will be the backbone of my journey.
- I always read all email and comments. I can't make the time to get caught up in the fame though. Blogging is a competitive sport and I'm just not interested. I don't want advertising, I won't review your products, and I don't want to care how many followers I have (or don't have). Everyone always talks about link backs, self promotion, guest bloggers, twitter, blah blah blah...... it kind of makes me feel crazy when all I care about it sewing. SCREW IT ALL I will be an information island and I don't care a lick if you friend me, + me, link me, or whatever... Do it for you, not for me. Ok that felt good!
So to summarize. I'm surrounded by sewing all day everyday and I can't wait to share everything I've discovered in the past year with my readers. Please remember that being in the public eye makes me anxious but I believe it's worth it in the long run. I will do my best to do my best.